What I object to is the differentiation between "assisted" and "powered"
being too fine for local government to discern and wield if those e-bike
classifications aren't already codified. The drift from "assist" to
fully-propelled guided by the mantra of more-is-better is at play here and
local authorities don't seem to be keeping up.

My urban environment becomes Appalachian in the span of a single ride that
includes parts of the GAP and the lawmaking encompassing those separate
worlds is slow and often antagonistic.

The good news is that in those less urban realms, the e-things don't go far
from the parking lots and access points. They are more of a hazard/nuisance
closer in where some commuters try using them.

At least the springtime hordes of Pep Boys electric motorcyle look-alike
"toys" piloted by inexperienced, unhelmeted, unlicensed adolescents seem to
choose the streets instead of the MUPs. By mid-summer their batteries don't
keep enough charge to be interesting and disappear until the next spring
swarm is purchased and released into the streets.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/34fd02a3-5e48-4792-84a7-ec434a9934d6%40googlegroups.com.