As OP, it is so cool what happens when you spend time away from the
keyboard.  The goal here is to walk on with the bike, stuff it in the front
part of the car on the top shelf, get off the train and ride away.  So no
bike box.

I'm familiar with Amtrak east coast bike transit, and they are very fussy
about which trains can load bikes.  It is basically the through trains like
the Vermonter that have a bike car that is combined with the baggage car,
so it you do it once a year like Bob K, and plan way in advance, it works.
And those trains have odd hours and at most 4 bikes per train.  Most trains
don't have em.  Hence the question.  I will say that if you want to take a
train to Baltimore from DC, every MARC train now has bike hangers, probably
much like on the West Coaster.  Baltimore is great, "prettiest place on
earth", but I want more (pun sorta).  Check out Streets of Baltimore
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4NoboSq6w> by Gram Parsons.  So sad.

Bromptons are great.  We rented them in London - got em out of a box at the
train station.  But I am at bike limit with wife and all.  To digress, when
I told her I was getting a tandem bike for me and junior, she fatefully
asked me the wrong question: "where will you put it."  "the garage has
plenty of room," I said, and "you only get one question and you neglected
to ask if I really need another bike."  She probably won't make the same
mistake twice.

Steve P, right you are about the fender issue.  I'd need to get rid of the
plastic SKS and get metal ones.  I have the cable disconnects on my S&S
bike and like those fine.  They never seem to get out of tune for shifting
and brakes are less finicky and work.

Sounds like the major investment would be the headset and the removable
pedals - thanks for the resource recommendations on those that I am
checking out now.  Great to have so much knowledge (and opinions) in one
spot.

Steve Seelig

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/f7fd6f27-34fb-46da-8575-4b028ba98114%40googlegroups.com.