As a current Hubbuhubbuh owner, one piece of advice I can share is that
friction shifting was a PITA. My theory is the amount of distance the cable
travels combined with how much more a tandem frame flexes (longer tubing
distances + the weight of two people) equals mucho ghost shifting and
chain-jump weirdness. I could be wrong. But my problems went away when I
flipped the switch on my Ultegra shifters (mated to Paul thumbies) to
"index" mode. I'd steer clear of friction shifting on the tandem but I am
interested to hear others' experiences

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/6bad80d1-23ca-430d-8f57-5550b7713d4d%40googlegroups.com.