To add some clarification to the chain recommendation for Rene Herse cranks:

11-speed rings (also suitable for 9- and 10-speed): Ramps and pins have to
be designed for one specific chain, and we designed ours for the 11-speed
Ultegra chain. So the shifting is best with this chain. Other chains should
work, but may not shift quite as smoothly.

5-10-speed rings, 10-speed: There are some 10-speed chains that have a
propensity for chain suck. We've done a lot of testing with Ultegra chains,
and they work great. So that is our recommendation, but others may work
well, too. Just avoid chains that are known for chain suck...

5-10-speed rings, 5-9-speed: Use any chain you want. I run SRAM 8-speed
chains on my Herse (5-speed), Urban Bike (6-speed) and Mule (7-speed), with
no problems whatsoever.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains