In my experience, a well built 32h wheel is just fine for
everything...Mountian Bikes have 32 holes these days.

You can get a new XT deore rim brake hub for $42, which should last as long
as anything else.

The Velocity Quill is a great road rim if you're running wider tires than
35's, the A23 if not. Sapim/DT Swiss double butted spokes and brass
nipples. Boom. THe Velo Orange PBP rim worked well for me on tires up to
35mm wide, and is a much cheaper option (on sale for $43 right now!). But
it doesn't have machined sidewalls, which means its easy for your brakes to
squeal. And I"d trust the Velocities over the VO's to last another 10 years.

I probably recommended things on the lighter side than a lot of Riv folks,
but...If you're lean, and don't ride on singletrack with a heavy load, I'd
be surprised if a well-built wheel broke. Most important thing, I think, is
who builds it. So get a trusted bike mechanic to lace it up, and it should
last a while.

My posts are usually delayed for a few days, so by the time you see this,
100 pther people might have better ideas ;-)

-Hunter
Sebastopol, CA

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/2042eb4e-2d96-4595-913e-a02e3d626ae3%40googlegroups.com.