A tire question.

I'm riding 32 mm Continental Sport Contact IIs-- the basketball tire-- on
Velocity A23 rims.  They've been great for about 18 months and 1000 miles,
generally run at 55 rear / 50 front psi, which has worked for both paved
and gravel roads.

Both tires have begun shedding fine white threads in a ring about 1 mm
outside the rim.  It's as though they're unraveling.  Where they've come
completely out, there's a gap or groove of about .5 mm width-- both sides
of both tires.  This is unlike sidewall failures that I've had before on
Compass tires and Paselas, which bubble and blister on the gum part when
they get old and worn out; this is right down near the rim, all the way
around.

Have others had trouble like this?  I read up on the relevant page at
Sheldon Brown's site and didn't see anything obvious.  I'm on the road with
this bike now, and hoping I can get through the rest of the trip without
worrying that either or both tires are about to blow out.

Thanks in advance for any advice--

John