Makes me wonder if this was a similar occurrence on a prior set of specialized
branded knobbies... Forget the model but they were lower end wire bead budget
replacements from the early/mid aughts.  I may or may not still have them
around in storage to inspect further (can’t recall if they were donated in the
last purge or not.). After only moderate use they each began to fray around the
circumference just above the bead/hook and bottom of sidewall and it did appear
to be some kind of reinforcement with no sign of sidewall damage otherwise.  No
brake pad wear on the tire or anything... I checked and double checked pad
alignment too many times to count.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ