Garth, I have wondered about this as well.  I never use two outer cogs.
With the chainring combo I have, my chain line is always off.   When I'm
using the large chainring, the chain is toward the left of the center and
vice versa.  I can't go any smaller on the large chainring.  (Campy - 46t
is smallest I could find).  If I could have 14t as my smallest cog, my
chain line would be almost straight when I'm using either chainring.

One day I did try what you are contemplating.  I put two smallest cogs all
the way inside as spacers. Did couple of rides.  Then decided to revert it
back pending more research about any potential safety issues.

There's a very valid use case here!