That sounds like a FD alignment issue Leah. Regardless of the shifters in
question, I assume you mean the Sunrace "One at a time" ones, moving the
chain from ring to ring should work easily as long as the FD is set up
correctly and cable tension alright. If the FD is too high above the
largest ring it will be sluggish to go up or down. I'd ask the next
mechanic to ride it themselves, both before AND after any adjustments.

Unless that is all working well, a new shifter won't do anything !