Well, that was an exercise in patience and fruitlessness.

The gracious pair of REI mechanics took me right in. They probably rolled their
eyes when they saw me for the 2nd time in 3 days, but it couldn’t be helped. I
told them the situation, reiterated some of what you guys told me, and one
mechanic took the bike out for a spin. Meanwhile, I prayed he’d have the worst
time out there so I wouldn’t I look like a fool who can’t operate friction
shifters.

The mechanic came back and said, “I had all kinds of problems!” The worst of
all of them, he had decided, was that the chain was slapping into the fender,
and obnoxiously. He decided they’d go over the shifting once again and shave
the fender away from the chain. They told me to run my errands and return.

I did, and they said it was working better, and I marveled at the mechanic’s
good, clean work of the shaved fender, and then we talked about Rivendell. They
have had some customers come in needing bar end shifters and have been at a
loss. I pointed them to the silver shifters on Riv’s site on their shop
computer and then left the page open so they can look at the rest of
Rivendell’s offerings later, ha.

I went to pay my bill and they wouldn’t allow it and after a short argument, we
decided I would find the Microshifter thumbies online and bring them for
installation later. And then we happily parted ways.

I got to the parking lot and noticed the slightest of inclines. Ah, I thought,
I’ll just make a lap or two. I was excited to try out the bike with the fender
no longer interfering. I tried the shifters every which way...

It was as bad as it’s ever been. I just didn’t have the heart to go back in
there and disrupt the mechanics’ work day again. Didn’t feel like dragging them
out into 107 degree heat so they could be as frustrated as me. I put the
Clementine back on the rack and pointed the van toward home. Something else
must be going on with the front derailleur, though it shifts like a dream on
the bike stand. Go figure!

Sent from my iPad