You're going down a mini-wormhole here! There are plenty of opinions out
there... There are Olympus people, Canon people, Minolta people, Petri
people, Hasselblad people, etc. Depending on year, all of these companies
made cameras that excelled in ways and potentially fell short in others.

You just need to figure out what you want in a camera. Don't shy away from
a fully manual setup - there's always the "sunny 16" rule. I came across a
Minolta kit for sale locally that included two bodies (SRT-102 and x700)
and 4 lenses. I thought this would give me an awesome opportunity to get
into the nitty-gritty of fully manual shooting with the SRT while still
being able to fall back on aperture priority (and even fully-auto) with the
x700 if I so desire. Both Minolta bodies, so I can move lenses around as I
please.

A word of warning: avoid ebay. I had an unpleasant experience dealing with
another body that arrived busted. Who knows who's to blame, but it appeared
to have been dropped by USPS handler. The prism was messed up AND the light
meter didn't work (seller claimed it did). You'll see TONS of 35mm
SLRs/rangefinders on there, many with a description mentioning that the
body/lens/whatever is *untested*. Forget it. No matter how cheap. I
recommend buying off-market, locally. Check out the camera and run through
all shutter speeds, wind up the film advance, fire the shutter, check light
seals. You're far more likely to deal with someone that actually knows the
camera vs. some yard sale scrounger.

Have fun!

- Teague