I'm a Chaco Z2 guy. I tried a pair of Astrals that had trimmer sole
profile, and less chunky sole. They also had straps between the toe that I
favored of Chacos since my first pair in earliest '90s when they lead me
away from Tevas. As a connected foot cyclist for physiological reasons, I
find almost no shoe comfortable on platform pedals, they all seem so
overbuilt compared to my Sidis.

The Astrals flip flop strap design, like the Bedrocks, with an adjustable
sub strap that can go behind the heel from the span of each of the two main
ones, or flip forward in front of your lower shin so you can get in and out
without using it. Seemed great.

What brought me back to Chacos was the security on my feet without
constriction. The Astral's rear strap was the only adjustment and simply
shoved my foot into the thong yoke of the main straps, and that was lots of
the time. Various sandals I've tried don't have a secure fit, discovered in
the midst of whitewater paddlesports, river access or on-trail experiences.
I'm not apologetic if such rotates around my foot while seeking footing in
the water, in a boat, on the trail or the messy mix of any.

My feet are "low volume" in the shoe-boot lexicon, they measure just a bit
wider than a dead-on medium in the linear scale of the Brannock device, but
in circumference are pretty trim. I have to pick and choose to find shoes
that will nominally close around my foot without producing wrinkles or
puckers in material excess of what my foot cross section requires. Chacos
have had the best encircling strap arrangement sandal (without turning into
a vented shoe) to keep the sole on the bottom of my foot through a variety
of situations. Again, my riding impression isn't a good measure since I'm
not fully comfortable outside of cycling shoes when riding.

Our friend who most utterly prefers riding in her Chacos:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MTNWqvDJVIo/XTZvosw_FqI/AAAAAAAAT9k/dziL2Wl6vTEf9ai-5BeIZnS3PEl-GUobQCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_1364.HEIC>
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g6SpiRbFLY8/XTiLjl_1mVI/AAAAAAAAUAs/MSHNgDj52oEqxcLO2XQSzVhkJmbtps8UACL4CGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_1679.HEIC>

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh