Ian has asked a very fair question, and I’m happy to answer - I am an open
book, ask away!

Why does Leah have a perfectly fitted Clementine but plans to sell it in favor
of a less well-fitted Clem L?

Because:
1. Leah is not immune to beautiful details.
2. Leah is a minimalist.

The Clementine fell into my lap after my mother in law moved to a nursing home.
The bike had sat unridden in her garage for over a year. I bought my Betty Foy
at the end of its production, not knowing a new longer-wheelbase generation of
Rivs was in the works. I missed the Cheviot by a couple of months. While I
adore the color scheme of the Betty, I’ve always wanted room for fatter tires
and to know what all the fuss was about long chainstays. These were things the
Clementine had, and I was really fortunate to get to bring that bike home.
Turns out, Rivs new philosophies live up to the hype. That Clementine was
instantly more comfortable than my Betty, though admittedly, heavier.

But, the Clementine had no cream accents, was a rather loud aqua color, and had
an ugly seat lug (I’m sorry, but that’s what I think). I had some frustrating
recurring shifting issues with the bike, and I think that has something to do
with space between the frame and derailleur (someone here speaks this language)
that the newer Clems have fixed.

The new Clem L fell into my lap because Roberta, a kind and thoughtful soul,
was looking for a Clem L for my sister, and she stumbled upon this insanely
good deal out of New York. For the price, it was just dumb not to buy it. I
couldn’t believe anyone would sell this bike after 2 weeks of owning it, and at
such a great price. I planned to either give it to one of my two sons when he
gets big enough, or to sell it later. But when it arrived, it was just so
beautiful. Cream accents! I’ve never had them! That metallic blue will make you
swoon, though you need to see it with your own eyes to believe it. I described
it as a blue-green shot through with glimmer, like sunlight in seawater, and I
stand by that. Forget about the photos you’ve seen online, they’re trash. This
bike is a much lovelier and upgraded Clementine. It’s really hard to say no to
the beauty that the Clem L brings.  I can live with making some adjustments to
fit because I think my body will get used to the bike and eventually prefer it.
So, I’m keeping it.

I am going to sell the Clementine because I don’t need two of the same bike. We
move fairly frequently and I like to travel through life light. I dislike
clutter and I am wary of just ‘having things’ - I need to use them or they
gotta go. I only want two bikes, a step through and a mixte - the two best
bikes Rivendell makes. It’s bad enough that the old Clem H is sitting, waiting
for a Peterson boy to grow tall enough to ride it, but I’m not having TWO bikes
sitting in exile. So, the Clementine will brighten someone else’s life soon,
and she’s a joy-bringer for certain.

Thanks for the help on fit - I’ll be anxious to read it if we can track it down.
Best,
Leah

Sent from my iPad