Note that the Elk Passes are really featherweights: I weighed one new
sample at ~175 grams, another at ~180. I use them with the lightest 23 mm
tubes I can find, *with sealant* in goathead country; even on firm dirt;
wonderful tires. Note that I expect only 1,500 trouble free miles out of a
rear installed new, though.

I used 559 X 32 Paselas -- non-Tourguard -- for commuting for several
years, and there is no comparison. That Pasela is better than many
alternatives, but (1) they are surprisingly delicate: I shaved tread off
once by a skid, and several times had the sidewalls crack, and (2) they had
a very small pressure range between bouncy and harsh; and, lastly, they
were quite prone to thorn punctures -- when I was commuting 30-40 miles a
day 3 or 4 times a week, I'd fix at least 4-5 flats a week on just those
wheels. The 559 X 32 actual Kojak rolled as well while being far more
sturdy and resisting thorns better.

Judging things by the usual test -- over a long period, does this tire
encourage your to use a higher gear in given conditions -- the EPs are
worth at least a couple of gear inches over the Kojaks and Paselas, and I
"feel" that they also roll better than the 559 X 23 Pro Races and Grands
Prix I used on another bike -- it has been several years since I used
these, so the models may have changed.

Please post a photo of your '92 XO-1. I have fond memories of mine, though
all  my Riv Roads have been improvements. I first built my XO up as a
gofast, with 48/38/26 X 12-19 7 speed triple, 370 gram "semi-aero" rims
(purple!) shod with the then-available 559 X 23 mm Specialized Turbo (a
very nice tire, and very smooth for its narrow width!), an ineffably nice
looking Grafton Superlight crank, oh, and drop bar Gripshift! I did some of
my modest personal bests on that. After I got my first Riv Road in early
1995, the XO was devolved to commuting duties with 46/36/24 X 13-21, and a
26.4 mm Cinelli Giro d'Italia stuffed into 25.4 mm Tioga T Bone stem, bar
end shifters, rack, fenders, and 2X NightRider Cyclops 15 w halogens, a
good 5 lb of lights, and various Carradice saddlebags, racks, and panniers.