Q. "Favorite All-around Drive train?"

A. What I've derived over the years for my Rambouillet.

OE TA Zephyr cranks with the inner triple ring and spacers removed with
46x30t on a narrower SKF BB than the OE Phil, Shimano rear hub and 13-32
cassette, Mavic 840 RD with the long cage of an 845 on a Wolftooth RoadLink
(the
845 "VTT" had a cheesy colored sticker in place of the laser-etched "MAVIC"
on the outer parallelogram arm and the 841 long road cage was bizarre),
Mavic 860 clamp FD, SunTour Accushift 7 bar end shifters and whatever
8-speed chain I find when stocking up. The non-integrated aside: Shimano
aero levers and  Paul Racer center mount brakes. Umbrage taken with the
suggestion that a bike can't be "integrated" without committed drivetrain,
brakes and control levers from whomever.

Love the crisp movement and no-play jockey wheel of the Mavic RD under
control of the Accushift levers (only in friction), it's akin to the
SunTour XC Pro units I've treasured in use over the years and whose stocks
are thinning, prices climbing in the resellers' forums. The Mavic FD is
just a classic parallel cage unit where responsibility for clean chain
disengagement/engagement is up to my left hand, easing my pedal force and
timing it all correctly during a shift. When not being used its cage sides
are magically distant from rubbing on the chain.

What I find most satisfying about this multi-continent, multi-decade
drivetrain concoction is that I can shift it as fast or slow as I decide,
across as many or few cogs as I need and it is quieter than all the newer
stuff. I think I've mentioned the best aspect of a well-sorted bike is how
quiet things are. I vary the approach to individual shifts with input from
my eyes to know how much to shift for the change of terrain ahead, my mind
to know what I'm about to do (uphill, accelerate, pass, slow or stop), how
I'm feeling (frisky, relaxed, tired) and how fast I'm turning the pedals.

It's like butter!

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh