I have tried to refrain from commenting, but if others are going to
insist on it, I will add my 2c worth.

"Liberal" and "conservative" are labels that have very little
grounding in reality and mean little more than "I like this" or I
dislike that." "Right" and "left" even more confused; what side of the
Chambre des Deputies did Marx or does Trump or Pelosi sit on?

That being the case, I accept that most ideologies are simply confused
mish-mashes, and don't pay them very much attention; as for real
values and doctrine, I try to keep my own mind clear and conform my
own life to what the evidence points to. I don't do this well, but
it's what I aim at.

That being a long windup: I don't epect Grant's political or social
views to be any more coherent than anyone else's, and I evaluate his
qualities through his actions; certainly, making valuable objects well
by paying skilled labor a decent wage is worth supporting; and in
fact, it's as conservative an action, in any coherent meaning of
conservative, as anything else. It's also truly liberal, in a coherent
meaning of that term.

And Amazon being "conservative" in any coherent sense of the term?
That's got to be one of the most blatantly confused juxtapositions
I've seen in a long time!

I will keep my own views to myself except to say that I belong to the
Orthodox church (which has a perfectly coherent doctrine and value
system which it shares with Hinduism and the Navajo and so forth) and,
though I despise all political candidates -- that is to say, I wish
them well, but I despise their ideas -- I find Bernie Sanders the
least incongenial; his policies would hasten the destruction of the
country even faster than without them, but at least he believes in
something reasonably coherent that is more than himself.

And I think Jimmy Carter was as confused as anyone else, but he
appears to be a more decent man than many other public figures I can
think of.

To get back to politics, gawd help us: H. L. Mencken said, "Every
decent man is ashamed of the government he has to live under."