On Mar 27, 1:54 pm, Phil Roberts <lugsnst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rick, while your rims probably won't fall off anytime soon they should
> eventually be replaced. Those eyelet cracks are sometimes indicative of an
> overall tensioning problem with the wheel. I've had eyelets crack from too
> high tension (on a single-speed with no dish) and I've noticed them on one
> of my wheels that had too low tension. I also know that some rims are more
> prone to that. To date I have NOT had that happen to any of my Sun CR18s or
> Velocity Synergys. Everyone's mileage varies.

Agree. Over tensioning spokes is one way to have eyelets crack. I had
a rear wheel build by a local shop using Campy Chorus rear hub,
Ritchey OCR rear rim and DT db spokes. The wheel had *maybe* 1000
miles on it when I found 2 eyelets cracking. Very disappointing. I'm
planning to rebuild with either a Mavic Open Pro, MA2 or a Velocity
Aerohead OC rear rim.

The other possible way is anodized rim.  Jobst stated that rims
cracked at the eyelet because of anodizing:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/anodized-rims.html

I had my DA rear hub/Mavic Open Pro Blue rear rim crack too. However,
that wheel had been in use for over 10 years, probably 20K miles, with
no problem until I found the rim cracking around the eyelets. I
suspect it was the anodizing that finally caused the crack.