On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 9:46:53 AM UTC-7, Connor wrote:

> I always thought the XOs and early All-Rounders were way ahead of their
> time. Perhaps too far ahead of their time? Back then 28 mm tires were
> considered huge for road bikes. How times have changed! Question for those
> who have one: Do Rat Trap Pass tires fit? Thanks!

I think it's hit or miss as to whether Rat Trap Pass tires fit.  Since they
were all built as one-offs, it depends on  the vintage, builder and frame
size.  They happen to fit fine on my 1999 60cm double-joe, but fender
clearance gets a wee bit tight at the bottom of the seatstay bridge.

I just this morning watched the talk Grant gave at Rivelo a few weeks ago
regarding the hillibikes.   He said something again along lines about the
earliest Rivendells being not as mature or refined.  Although he says he's
still proud of them, it almost sounded apologetic.  I never quite get that
humbleness.   Or the resistance to building bigger bikes with small,
funny-proportioned wheels.. My All Rounder probably doesn't ride a smooth
or climb as well or handle trails as, say, a new MIT Atlantis  with longer
chainstays  and slacker headtube and every other refinement but, no matter
how many bikes I acquire, it's still the bike I always choose to grab for
ride that is road based - rather asphalt or dirt.  The small wheels feel
exactly the way I imagine a road bike is supposed to feel.