Hey Mat! Will nailed it. Studs are the way to go for significant glazed
snow pack and smooth ice, but at quite a price. For my winter riding where
I live glaze and sheet ice are largely avoidable via picking a different
line, walking a section, taking a less traveled route, or simply waiting
for it it either snow or melt, so I stick with plush knobbies. In general I
encounter glaze and sheet on the trail (easily walked around) or on the
forrested backroads in town that don't get plowed (I take the MUP). Worth
noting is that snowpack and glaze can look similar with low angle sun, so
knowing the conditions (temp, history of temp and snow) and feel (easily
assessed with fixed, hard with free wheel) goes a long way to knowing what
you'll encounter. Wisconsin conditions are likely different than alpine
Colorado, with longer stretches of cold that facilitate glaze on well
trafficked roads. Given a day or two around here, most glaze and sheet ice
are either melted or snowed over (give time for the snow to amalgamate with
the ice beneath), so a near non-issue.

With abandon,
Patrick