Lake Pepin is truly a remarkable place to ride and it's nice to see it
getting some "air time" here on this forum. I've ridden around it
three times, all as two-day jaunts during the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour,
in 2006, 2007, and 2008. In 2007 I blazed a dirt road alternate to
part of the Day Two route, which became the main route for that
stretch thereafter. This started a trend and other quasi Rough Riding
alternatives have been added, at least unofficially. You can see my
pix and videos from 2008 here, and once in there you'll find links to
my 2006 and 2007 pix and reports.

http://www.adventurecorps.com/chronicles/2008/2008pepin.html

Here's the blurp I wrote about it at the time:

Imagine a two-day cycling event which doesn’t allow Lycra, requires no
training (but lots of good attitude) and features riders in 1930s era
“street” clothing who stop at every single scenic overlook, roadside
historical marker, and café they encounter, while riding old British 3-
speed bikes that are commonly seen offered for a few bucks in garage
sales. This is the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour and it’s the coolest, most
fun, most enjoyable, and perhaps the most thought-provoking bicycle
event I’ve ever attended. The sixth annual edition was held May 17-18,
2008 and I rode it with my girlfriend Elizabeth, her sister Alison,
and bro-in-law Dave. It was my third Pepin Tour, Elizabeth's second,
and Alison & Dave's first.

According to the ride website, “The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour is based
on cycle touring in pre-war England.  It was a gentlemanly time; few
people owned a car and recreation based on automobiles was extremely
limited. To get away for the weekend they would pack a few things,
mount up and head to the country. Most every farmstead had
refreshments or a room to rent, every little village had a family-run
restaurant; just look for the ‘Cyclist Teas’ or ‘CTC Recommended’
sign. It’s a romantic image to be sure but firmly based in reality.”

The spirit of the “gentleman cyclist” runs strong through the
organizers of this event, Jon Sharratt, the “Shirt-Tail Organizer,”
and Noel Robinson, the founder. For the third year in a row, Jon and
Noel offered to loan classic 3-speed bicycles to our entire group.
That amazing generousity once again confirmed for us that the
whimsical attitude featured on their website is not just their
Internet persona, but an authentic way of life.

The route of this two-day event features a 75-mile, clockwise
circumnavigation of Lake Pepin, a stretch of the Mississippi River
which is wide and distinctive enough to merit the “lake” appellation.
"City dwellers need go no farther than this if they seek romantic
solitude," wrote panorama artist Henry Lewis in 1848. "One can not
imagine a more lovely expanse of water than Lake Pepin in quiet, clear
weather." So said one of the many roadside historical markers along
the route, and I couldn’t agree more.

- Chris Kostman
La Jolla, CA
http://www.XO-1.org

PS We still have a few of both types of 3-Speed Adventure Society hats
floating around, if anyone is interested (we had some of those made
for the 2007 edition, as I recall).