Who likes wrenches? I do, so I shall throw one in the conversation! Y'all are
correct that "get the biggest frame you can fit" was/is a Riv mantra about
getting your bars up high where they belong, but it originated during the early
days when Rivs still had mostly-level toptubes and sourcing tall quill stems
was still in its infancy. This was also a time when drops and Moustache Bars
were being spec'd on a lot of their frames.

Today all-but-Roadeo have upsloping TTs, crazy-tall headtubes and usually show
up at your door with a tall bar on a tall stem. I can ride a 52cm Clem well
enough, but my 45cm version with HiRiser stem and Boscos has all the bar height
I can stand. So there ya go.