I had the same reaction as Hugh and John to this thread.

I understand this point of view:
*What other company of their size gets such sincere and direct feedback and
with little to no expense for re-engagement?*
But the tone of this thread was, to me, more like non-constructive,
non-helpful criticism.

As a long-time Rivendell customer, I've had a couple of interactions that
were less than perfect. But that is the nature of most relationships. And
the overwhelming majority of the time the company has gone above and
beyond.

Two recent examples.

I pre-ordered one of the Cheviot sweaters. It came, it's beautiful. (I've
been trying to find time to do a post about it.) I consider it a fantastic
bargain. And then Rivendell decides they, I don't know? made too much money
on it, so they send everyone who bought the sweater $25 gift certificates.
Point me to another company that would do that. I would like to patronize
them. (Funny enough, the "mistake" element entered here too, as they
initially sent out certificates for $20 instead of $25. I had only the
slightest fleeting thought of pointing out this "error." ) I get that it is
partly marketing to a segment of its business that will order something
sight unseen, and the certificate could potentially be a sales stimulant,
but still.

Second example. I bought a second-hand Clementine to replace the one I had
to sell for financial reasons a while back. There was something not quite
right, so I called Riv to discuss and see if my idea to fix it made sense.
They offered a brand-new replacement frame and fork. On a four-year old
bike. Of which I was not the original owner.

I'm not saying nobody should ever criticize Rivendell. But this was about a
one-off sale, a bike where either communication went awry or the builder
had a bad day, or whatever. And Rivendell laid out the various "defects"
and offered the bike for sale. Why that needed to have feedback is
questionable to me. But then it spirals into finding stuff hidden in the
warehouse (see the Crust basement sales on Instagram; this is a feature not
a bug!) the cost of Riv customs, and how perverse it is that a Rivendell
employee can afford a Rivendell. Maybe Rivendell customs cost a lot because
they pay the builder and painter what their skills are worth, then make a
bit on top of that as the designer and facilitator. Maybe a Rivendell
employee can afford a Riv because they get a company discount, and because
the company pays a living wage.

Most on this list are, by definition, at least slightly obsessed with
bicycles. Between this type of consumer, and the chance consumer who likes
"quality" and happens to hear about or see a Rivendell in the wild, that's
a niche market within a niche market within a hurting industry. Most people
thinking of buying a bicycle would think a Clem Smith Jr. is too expensive.
Those that don't, if they had heard of a Clem Smith Jr. would mostly scoff
at it and get a carbon machine.

 Anyone considering a custom bicycle is aware of other options and price
points, so I'm not sure that falls under constructive criticism either.
That would imply Rivendell getting this info and thinking about changing
its pricing structure due to the feedback. I think its safe to say
Rivendell charges what they need to charge for customs and still adhere to
their business tenets. I also find it odd that many are quick to criticize
Rivendell's financial woes, yet find the price of a custom too high.

Anyway, end of ramble. Athough it sometimes feels like piling on, I do
appreciate the various viewpoints. (I just wanted to make sure the correct
one got out there;^)