I've had several trainers in the past, from magnetic drive ones, fluid
ones, to a Wahoo Kickr smart trainer. The best and most enjoyable I've used
is the smart trainer. Get on Zwift, or Trainer road and you don't have to
think about shifting and have proper power levels throughout the workout.
Zwift will give you some sort of gaming function, where Trainerroad is
purely workout related. You can even use the Wahoo app to control the
trainer if you don't want to up for a subscription service. I've used every
Riv I've owned on a trainer at one time or another and the bikes work great
for it.

what I like to do if I'm just looking to move the legs is stick on a movie
or a tv series, stick a easy workout on trainerroad onto my phone and just
spin for an hour or so. It's great for those days that weather-wise don't
work for outdoor riding.