Eric G@rs

No, when I have ridden road bikes with a 1x drivetrain and a standard
chainring, I have not experienced a frequency of chain drops that I
considered problematic.  Generally I think the bumpier one's riding the
more likely the chain will drop.  Generally I think the wider the rear
cassette and the shorter the chainstays the more likely the chain will
drop.

My general recommendation is use what you have or use what you like.  If
the frequency of chain drops is a problem for you and you want to fix it,
then add a mitigation.  For your case, you used what you wanted to use, and
you currently don't have a problem, so don't fix it.  For the OP, who
already has a 42T ring, I recommended that he give it a shot, and I repeat:
give it a shot.  If there are no problems, don't fix them.  The mitigations
that I've seen and heard of people using include:

narrow wide rings
a dummy FD
a chain guide
clutch rear der
high chain tension (short chain)
stronger RD spring tension
sandwich of chainguards on either side (the old school cyclocross fix)

I think it would be wasteful to throw all those mitigations at a build
before you even know whether you have a problem.  My most recent 1x road
build needed a new ring, and so I went ahead and used a narrow-wide ring.
I can't prove I needed to use it.  My most recent 1x cyclocross build was
from the ground up, and I elected to use a clutch RD and a narrow wide
ring.  Whether I could have gotten away without either of those is unknown

BL in EC

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA