Sorry, I'm late to the discussion, but these bone conduction headphones are
amazing.  They work best in the higher register--the bass is not so great.
I like to listen to piano music and all of the street noise comes through
perfectly well because the ears are totally open.  In addition, the car
noises tend to be in the lower register/rumbling which is not in the range
of the piano music, so there is no loss of hearing for street sounds.

I use the Aftershokz brand and they are comfortable and highly recommended
for exercise.

Toshi, sheltering in Oakland