Thanks. I've used the Bagman version, both with and without supports. I was
hoping to find a quick on/off system that didn't require a permanent
attachment to the saddle or seatpost; probably a forlorn hope indeed, tho'
Roberta's solution (and someone's refinement of it) come pretty close to
what I want.

I think I'll just procrastinate until my new bike (with racks) is ready,
then forget about the problem.