Yow. This one hurts. I had actually planned to ride a large portion of
this route this summer. Looks like I'll have to put it on hold due to
family med issues. I was eagerly awaiting the route maps.

As and aside, lots of tourers seem to feel that they can't tour
without the ACA maps and they slavishly follow "the route." It is
important to note that, while the ACA maps are great tools, the routes
are neither inherently "safer" or more interesting than planning your
own way. In fact, choosing your own adventure might be better. ACA
routes see a lot of bike touring use. Locals become used to seeing
bike tourers. Planning your own way through rural areas of the US can
make you an instant local celebrity! Seriously, I toured the entire US
back in the day with just a AAA map of the entire US. A lot of how we
experience true adventure is through dealing with the unexpected.

Dave