Steripen-- have worked in outdoor shop for 10ish years. The steripen
basically does what chemicals do (kills but does not clean), but does
it more like a filter (piece of gear that needs care). There have been
a few improvements in the design over the years, and while I have only
used one sporadically, i have friends who have used them exclusively
for months at a time in developing countries. They swear by'em. Just
keep in mind that dirty water is still dirty after treatment-- so it
is a good idea to use some type of pre-filter (like a bandanna over
the mouth of the bottle). Also keep in mind that it treats the water
in the bottle, not the water on the edges of the bottle, so be
careful. Using it is a leap of faith--- nothing looks different, but
suddenly the water is safe.

A side note on filters: I wouldnt make to much of "field serviceable"
for a filter. There is one particular filter from a company that is
famous for making stoves, which seems to have it all-- long lasting
filter, fully field serviceable, good reputable company-- but the
ceramic filter can quickly get clogged and take forever to filter.
Lotsa people just stop using them and take their chances. Another
company that sounds like a mountain in Maine makes filters that arent
field serviceable, but work and work fast consistently. They can still
be taken apart and fixed. I think it is more important to know how
your gear works than have any field serviceable moniker on the
package. That is usually enough for emergency repair.

Chemicals: try'em before you need'em. Some people can't stand the
taste. Non-iodine seem work best for most. If you do use chemicals,
brining something to flavor the water can be helpful--there are tons
of options out there. Bring some type of chemical treatment even if
you plan to use another method-- emergencies happen. And lastly, read
the warning labels/ talk to you Doc if you are gonna be ingesting any
chemical for any period of time.

Rivendell content: Loving my new Bleriot.

Cheers!
cm