For commuting, unless you are only going to have a pannier on one side
of the bike, panniers that attach at the top such as the Brooks and
the Laplander:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4790070&id=197328405989

may be the better option. Saves you the time of attaching and
detaching both panniers if you do not feel good about leaving them on
the bike.  The roll up feature is nice when riding with them empty.

For touring, I agree with 'Me'.  Ortliebs are very hard to beat.