Wow, lots of useful info, thanks everyone. I'm as confused as ever on which
way to go though :)

Now I'm wondering how the an xtracycle would work on my Appaloosa. The
chainstays are a little bit shorter and it's a double top tube so that
could only help with stability. To date that bike has been the heavy lifter
anyway. The only real appeal of the the leap kit is to save some money and
not add another bike to my collection. A BD of BFD would certainly be the
best way to go. One last option is a 10 year old Novara 29'er that's been
sleeping in my shed for a few years. It's in great shape, and I was
intending to offload that at some point, but maybe that would make a good
candidate for a conversion. Bottom line is the cargo bike will get lots of
use, and I want to love riding it as much as I have enjoyed riding my
Appaloosa.