Thanks, all, some good suggestions and some good advice about thinking this
through -- which is my purpose in asking such questions, since I do know my
own tastes.

Actually, while I don't really like black or gray for frames, I have owned
several glossy black bikes that looked good; in fact, my first home-brew
paint job was hand sprayed (as in pump gun) gloss black oil-based enamel
with gold pin striping added by hand. Later I had a decent looking
battleship gray Stumpjumper Comp with orangy-red accents.

But black shows dust too much. I find white boring; I didn't care for the
yellow of the Motobecane; and I already have a darkish (Ford) blue -- need
a different color to tell the bikes apart. (Kidding.) I recall a very nice
metallic dark green on a 1991 Stumpjumper Team, but you can't get that with
powdercoat, I imagine. In fact, you can't do metallic with your usual $150
powdercoats, can you?

Chauncey says he'll probably be able to get the sage green -- not identical
to but close enough to the original 2003 Joe Bell Rivendell sage green; but
if he can't, I'll ask for a Herse-like blue.

Funny, I know that orange is a favorite on this list, but while I like it
better than yellow, I just for some reason don't care for it on a bike
frame.