I grew up with a multi use path at the end of my street. I started using it
at 5-6 when I learned to ride a bicycle. The etiquette of the trail was so
ingrained in the culture of childhood for my peers and I that even in our
punky middle school BMX years, we were still "on your left" conscious. I
still get annoyed when folks don't respond to the bell, clicking levers, or
on-your-lefts. Now with the paths flooded with folks just trying to get out
of their houses, I am more aware that the inherent social contract of MUP
etiquette isn't something that others know or were taught, and I am
accepting of it more now than ever. While some signage exists, I'm sure, I
don't expect a family with two dogs, a couple of kids on Razors, another on
rollerblades, and a stroller to be on edge in case a middle-aged weirdo on
a lugged bicycle and a wool cardigan rings his bell.

What this traffic has done for me is make me get out my local maps and come
up with new rides, which has been fun. I moved to Elgin, IL a year and a
half ago and have been working on riding all of the streets in town and
admiring all of the brilliant old houses, flowers, learning all of the
street names, etc.