I'm with Patrick on the tire mattering a lot. I ride more the utility/brick
side of tires than he does (and consequently have developed a habit of
leaning towards higher inflations rather than lower), and the optimum
balance between 'feels slow' and 'starts bouncing' can deviate notably from
Jan's calculation and the graph that Steve showed. Curiously, I keep all
three of my bikes between 45-60 PSI (45-50 front, 60-ish rear). Except
they're all three different total (bike+me+stuff) weights, tire widths, and
tire types. My 3-spd roadster with its 35mm Delta Cruisers works out a a
bit low per the formula but I like the comfort more over the speed at that
inflation on that bike, inflated per the suggestion I think I can feel
every pebble bounce me. My road-ish Centurion 650b conversion with its 38mm
Soma New Xpress tires is a bit high but not by a lot. The real outlier is
my Clem with its 50mm Schwalbe Mondials, which are drastically higher
inflated at 45/60 than the formula would suggest, but any lower than that
and I can actually feel the increased rolling resistance over my seven mile
commute. Like I left my brake on, or about the same feeling as using my
bottle dynamo on the 3-spd. It's notable. If I tried to ride those down as
low as 30-40PSI like suggested I'd feel like I was stuck in the mud. At 60
front and 70 rear they start getting that 'baseball' bouncy effect.

I always start with the formula's suggestion and then try 5-10 PSI over and
5-10 PSI under and tweak where I actually leave it for any given tire based
on where it felt slugglish and where it felt bouncey.