I seem to have a genius for installing things other than the way intended.
A few years ago I got a VO long-setback seat post mailed to me for my
Fargo/Brooks combination, and I managed to install it facing the wrong way.
(There were only two way to install it, I got the wrong one...) The saddle
did not adjust far enough to sit on comfortably (no kidding) and as it
turned out I needed my local shop (the now-gone Dizzy's) to attend to
another matter. The shop mechanic came out and very nicely, quietly, and
non-judgementally asked me something like:

" Excuse me, but are your umm, differently-abled in a way that required you
to install your seat this way? "

I admitted I was still fine-tuning the installation, and he offered to
speed up the process for me, by installing it properly. I blushed my thanks
to him and the story ended happily.

EricF
getting it right, eventually
Vancouver BC