Agreed on the long sleeve Merino base layers. I prefer the long sleeves to
wearing more sunscreen, and prefer them on the slightly loose side. Wool won't
stink, but it can build up a noticeable white salt layer on extended rides in
extreme heat--evidence that the wicking works. Lightweight Merino tops do start
to get faded/thread bare on the shoulders/back after about three years at which
point I don't think they have much sun screening effect.

I have taken to wearing REI Savanna pants on the bike. They are remarkably
light and tough, and they have bungee drawstrings sewn into the cuffs. I hike
them up over my calves when riding and slip them down if I need to look like
less of a goofball. Best of all, they're sized by waist/length, so I can get
them to fit my ridiculously long legs. Buy a size up in waist if you have bike
rider thighs.

Around here (CA Sierra) summer rides either start early or are in the high
country.

Carl