Joe

The Bicycling Science chapter did not discuss the of bars, but all the
figures were the standard -17° stem with drop bars.  So I would assume John
Allen had drop bars in mind in his 2001 communication to Wilson.  Also,
Patrick's question concerned drop bars, not swept back bars.

My takeaway from the chapter is the shorter stem has no 'fatal flaws'
except some reduction in stability when riding with 1 hand on the bar per a
qualitative discussion and lack of any discussion on hand position vis a
vis stability in the rest of the chapter on Steering and Stability.  The
reduction may be small and easily adaptable.

As far as the zero length stems, I read the Analog description of their
stem and of course they did not discussion any 'cons' or 'unintended
consequences" of their design.
I agree if your top tube is too long, their product is required and you
need to live with the consequences.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ