SPDs here, usually M520s, although right now I have some dual-sided ones
because I had romantic visions of hopping on my bike to run short errands
in sneakers. Turns out, I rarely run short errands via bike and switching
shoes is not a problem. The flat side of the pedal is further down than the
SPD side and makes me hyperextend my leg. I also rarely wear sneakers but
that's another story.

I have a gimpy hip and the clipless pedals keep my leg from flopping
around. We have lots of bikes with flat pedals at work, and I've learned
the hard way to stay off of them if I want to be able to walk the next day.
I'm glad (but also sad) to hear that other people ride clipless for the
same reason.

Lynn