I started with bare pedals, added clips without straps, added straps, added
slotted cleats, switched to various sorts of clipless, notably Speedplays
and KEOs for road, the on a perverse whim went back to clips and straps and
very nice, ballet-slipper-like leather Rivats with slotted cleats on my Riv
Road fixed gear gofast. I would pull the strap tight enough to keep my foot
in place while pulling up and back, but not so tight that they were
uncomfortable, and had no problem reaching down to loosen when needed. Of
course, I never did 110% sprints, and toe strap buttons helped a great deal
in grabbing the strap with a fixed drivetrain. But better even than this, I
found a sweet spot for the straps that required no adjustment: Just tight
enough to hold your foot in place while torquing hard, but just loose
enough to pull your foot up and out, and then stick it down and in, with a
bit of a twist to work the toe into the loop and the slot over the pedal
cagae. And, the odd thing, I found it considerably easier to get into and
out of the RX-1s + Christophe clips + nice laminated straps kept
semi-tight, than I did with the damned slippery all-plastic KEO pedals and
cleats. I am even today tempted to go back to clips and straps, with
slotted cleats for longer rides, and street shoes for errand rides, but
SPDs are just too convenient. 76" gear, so I do have to stand and pull hard.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 11:05 PM Matthew P <matthewpendergr...@gmail.com>
wrote:  ... In my opinion, if any straps or clips are going to keep your
foot completely stuck to the pedal, then you are probably limiting blood
flow to the foot, and making it very difficult to get the foot out.