"Why are so many opposed to using a simple wrench on a nut as Nitto intended
for this model stem?"

I don't think it's "opposed" so much as the other Nitto stems - like most
one-bolt stems - don't work that way. I've had a bunch of both models and don't
think I've ever used a wrench on that nut, it wouldn't have occurred to me.