Whew, I’m glad to have that clarified, and thank you, John.

I did my 10 miler tonight and I think the ticking is mostly resolved. It was a
windy night, and I was moving pretty quickly and there were a lot of people out
and about, so it was difficult to really hear. I think I did hear some small
ticking maybe 8 miles in, but it was aberrant. I’m hoping the T9 works its way
deeper into the crevices. I have real stem grease coming via Amazon tomorrow -
do you all think I should add that to the stem/bar interface as well?

Thanks for all the help today; I’m getting more of an understanding about how
stuff works on the bike. It’s both enlightening and terrifying - can I admit
that here among all these enthusiasts? Why should more knowledge be terrifying?
Well, I used to ride bikes without thought as to what could go wrong. Little
noises weren’t even noticed. But the more I know, the more I realize can go
wrong.

This week lots went wrong on the bike. A couple nights ago I was headed down
Killer Hill at speed and noticed that my Edelux headlight had some play in it.
Huh, I thought, I don’t remember it moving like that... It all got worse fast,
so I came to a screeching halt in time for something silver and round to fall
off from the light mount, as the light hung loosely from it. I realized that
the silver hoop was one of two parts, and the other, an inch long rod-type
thing was missing. I backtracked and found the little silver rod up the hill a
ways (WHEW) and put it back the way I thought it should go.

Shaken up by THAT but determined the show must go on, I mounted my bike, and
set off rather gingerly, as I feared the light mount loosening again. I pushed
off, towards a crossing and was nearly run down by an SUV whose driver decided
to run a stop sign. After some unpleasantries between us (I admit to nothing),
I was then forced to suffer the indignity of being passed by a Roadie who was
at least 20 years my senior.

If you still don’t feel sorry for me, I will add the final straw was taking a
turn too tightly and hearing the sickening sound of metal scraping concrete
while feeling the bike underneath me skitter sideways. Pedal strike. With my
light mount barely holding and my pedal now noticeably scuffed, I pointed my
bike towards home.

Last night, the ticking in my bars was obnoxious and I was about to start
getting tics of my own. Arriving home, I set to work with my hex wrenches
trying to see where the noise was coming from. I found several loose things,
also disturbing. I came inside, started this thread and went to bed at midnight.

After swapping the stem a couple times today and all the futzing around and
guesswork, I envisioned the bike coming apart beneath me on tonight’s descent.
But, hey, everything held!

So, thanks for all the help; I’m in need of it and I have learned a LOT from
this group. But I still maintain that knowing more is frightening.

Leah

Sent from my iPad