David, Of course I don't know your specific cassette or ring combo or
anything about what gears you ride.

That said, As an option to widening your front chainrings, which only
increases the chain angle and friction, you can lessen your cassette cog
number by one. If like me, you have no use for a 11 or 12 tooth small cog,
take it off, measure it's width, and place a spacer of that width not where
it used to be, but in the last position, nearest the spokes where your
largest cog would be. Torque down the cassette as usual. A serrated cog is
not necessary, proper torque is. Off the top of my head I believe I used a
3.5mm spacer. Familiarize yourself with how many turns it takes a lockring
to bottom out without a cassette, it's depth. That helps to ensure the
cassette is snug without bottoming out the lockring.