Thanks so much for the continued ideas!

Hi Dareck,

I just read up on redishing wheels -- could be a good solution that lets me
have may cake and eat it too.

iamkeith,

I'm hoping the chainstays will do exactly what you think they will --
minimize the any issues that larger differentials might give rise to.

DSTRONG,

The BB did come with additional spacers, but I wasn't sure I could use
them.  I followed Shimano's specifications when installing in a 73mm shell,
but they said nothing else about being able to use more to tweak chainline.
 Do you know whether this is something people commonly do?

Joe,

I'm using Shimano's XT 10-45 cassette.  Simply not using that gear is the
easiest solution requiring no alterations or work arounds.  And I'll
probably be just fine without it.  I think you're right about Grant's
theory about the rubbing not being such a big deal in practice -- I might
not even notice it, and shouldn't have any issue as long as I shift prior
to descending.

Beautiful bike, John!