I have to laugh, not in scorn or derision, but in exhilaration. I've used
the 559 X 32 (non-Tourguard) Paselas extensively, and while they are --
I'll go so far -- "acceptable" tires, ones I'd use in the absence of
anything better -- they are in a wholly different universe from the Elk
Pass. The Elk Pass "feels" so much easier to pedal, the metric or KPI being
the perceived ease of maintaining a given cadence with a given crank in a
given gear in similar conditions; they allow me to pedal a cog 1 tooth
smaller with similar effort in similar conditions. (In fact, on my 1999 Riv
Road custom gofast, the EP feels faster by this method of comparison than
some top-of-line racing tires, notably the 650C (571 bsd) X 23 mm model of
the Michelin Pro Race 4 -- at least, the one from some ~3 years ago when I
made the switch.)

Here's an interesting metric. The Paselas have a very small "nice pressure"
range of some 10 psi, IMO; higher and they are harsh, softer and they
bounce. Anecdote: I was riding the 1999 gofast with Elk Passes in a group
and a rider behind me said, "Don't you know that your rear tire is going
flat?" She had noticed the shape of the tire flattening. But I had not
noticed any change. Reason? Because the EPs are so supple that even severe
underinflation doesn't cause a big increase in drag; I don't notice flats
until the EPs are so low that they start to bounce. Try running Paselas at
20 psi!

In short, there is no comparison, they are 2 different animals. The Elk
Pass is fully worth the quantum difference in price. FWIW, I get ~1,500
miles out of a rear Elk Pass, often carrying heavy rear loads with a ~10%
mix of dirt and smooth gravel, and a ~ 25% mix of rough pavement. The front
of course would get close to double that, if I didn't rotate f to r when I
replace the worn rear -- that is, when rear wears out, move original front
to rear, and put new tire on front.

Forgive my short-term memory loss, but is that your '92 XO-1? V nice!