Funny you should mention ATMO red. I have a Richard Sachs in the classic red
Sachs color scheme, and the paint job is actually pretty interesting.

The red color is what’s called a “candy” in the paint world—a translucent color
painted over a base coat of a different color. In this case, the red candy
color is on top of a bright white base color.

What happens when the bike is in the sun is that the light goes through the
red, bounces off the white and re-emerges back through the red. In person, it’s
stunning, like the tubes were lit from within.

I suspect that the Sam Hillbornes are painted in a solid red color. Nice, but
not the same.

P.S. Expect to pay around $1,500 for Joe Bell to lay down a paint job like the
one on my Sachs. It’s quite difficult and involves numerous layers of paint and
lots of hand work. One little mistake anywhere in the process, and it’s ruined.

More about JB (who has painted many custom Ribs): www.JoeBell.net
<http://www.joebell.net/>

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com