A Clementine is always good, now and forever! I think yours will nobly serve
you, Mas. And yes, you should also have the Platypus. I mean, that’s exactly
what I’m having, so it won’t be without precedent! Just own all the Riv mixtes,
that’s what I say.

It’s true that Rivs have overlap and that we Rivendell fans are hard-pressed to
explain to our spouses (who usually aren’t as ardent fans as we are - why does
it work that way most of the time? One member of the couple is a bike person
and the other is ambivalent...) why we need yet another. In my case, this is my
one extravagance...well, unless you count that I do spend a lot on healthy,
organic food from the grocery store - but that serves my whole family so do we
have to count that? I’ll let you in on the Secret Life of Women here and tell
you that most of us are spending $$$ getting our hair colored every 6 weeks,
some are getting nails done, still others will pay for other beauty treatments,
massages, and gym memberships. Since I do none of those things, I feel ok
spending money on good bikes and good bike stuff from Rivendell and Analog. I
tell my husband we’re probably saving money - I should be praised for my
thriftiness! I will be one of the happy owners of the new Platypus when it
finally gets released. I really cannot wait, even though it will be set up a
lot like my Clementine. Hey, I like what I like!

Back to the business model - don’t you think Rivendell’s best business decision
of late was when they offered the Clems? Clems are fantastic, and at at their
price point, so many new customers could be brought in. My family are prime
examples of this - before my mother-in-law’s was sold we had 7. Most of them
would not be excited enough about bikes to spend the money for a fully-lugged
Rivendell, but the Clems were reasonable, in their minds.

I’m so glad you and your wife have long loved your Rivs, Michael. I think Rivs
get more special as their mileage increases.