"Yes" to "... buy one Rivendell and then keep riding it for20 years ..."
and "No" to "never to be bothered to get another one."

My favorite bike of all time is my 1999 Joe Starck custom Riv Road, but
I've bought and sold on 4 other Rivs as I found other bikes better suited
to my admittedly idiosyncratic taste.

BUT!! These other replacements have all been refined by what I learned from
riding those 4 Rivs that I sold on; the most recent being that 2003 Curt
Goodrich; I loved it, rode it, discovered a flaw*, and replaced it, the
outstanding replacement standing on the shoulder of that previous giant.

* I think I've never experienced "planing," but I finally realize I've
experienced its opposite: The 2003 just didn't go like the 1999; come to an
incline, turn into a headwind, and it got sluggish, didn't respond properly
to higher exertion, and hurt my quads. Excessively thick-walled OS tubing?
Again, 7 lb F + F + Ultegra alloy HS for a 58 c-c, where my 60 c-c Libertas
weighs 5.9 F + F + STEEL (old Campy Record) HS. At any rate, the
replacement, with thinwall standard tubing just seems more eager.