They don't look any realer when you're standing right in them. I fell
asleep at about 4AM last night and woke up at about 9. It took a few
minutes to figure out whether it was daytime; the light coming through the
windowshaded east-facing in my bedroom weren't any brighter than they'd
been when I went to sleep.

KQED-FM, the big local NPR affiliate in San Francisco, has been saying all
day that the orange skies on the bayfront are not from the southern
lightning complex fires (near Santa Cruz and just east of Silicon Valley)
or the northern lightning complex fire (Napa, Sonoma and neighboring
counties surrounding Lake Berryessa), the ones that have been producing the
caustic air we've been breathing for the last few weeks. The smoke causing
the filtered orange light is much higher in the atmosphere, from the fire
in Southern Oregon; it's high up enough that the particles are filtering
out blue light, and creating the orange hue. Which is *totally real*, and
makes you think somebody transported you to Mars while you slept.
Fortunately, the smoke making the sky orange don't appear to be adding to
the breathable particulates at street level; the air today isn't any
nastier to breathe than yesterday's not-orange air was.

Unless you're right near the fires, the heat is caused by convection
currents generated by the fires; they get the smoke up into the atmosphere
at a level that traps the radiated heat in, and the temps go up everywhere.
The Bay Area is like a set of bowls, with hills all around one; whatever
gets inside one bowl gets everywhere inside the bowl. Everyone along the
bayshore is subjected to the same conditions, unless a strong ocean wind
blows the gunk off the areas surrounding the mouth of the Bay: north side
of San Francisco, Sausalito (Marin County), West Berkeley/Albany (East Bay).

I was out in Walnut Creek at a doctor's office yesterday, on Ygnacio Valley
Road, the big high-speed drag immediately south of RBWHQ and the worst
street I know of for bike riding, bad enough that I ride on the sidewalk
(as signage permits you to do, recognizing that street traffic runs at
60MPH and nobody in WC walks anyway). It was over 100 and the air was like
breathing a scouring pad, but the sky was smog grey - not orange, which is
today's new development.

It's a lot cooler today, but the troubles will persist until the rain
starts, or until we get several days of big winds through the Golden Gate.

Don't really feel like riding today.

Peter 'enough, already" Adler
West Berkeley, CA