On Apr 17, 11:49 pm, Rene Sterental <orthie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Going a bit fast on downhill slopes, about 16 mph, removing the hands from
> the bars caused a shimmy. It was kind of a low frequency shimmy, gentle but
> steady. The bike kept going straight, but with the shimmy. I have a Chris
> King headset; is it perhaps a little tight? Read somewhere that someone
> fixed that problem by loosening their headset a bit.

I on the other hand have had no luck adjusting a headset to eliminate
shimmy.  I think you should remove the handlebar bag and see if the
shimmy is still there.   If it goes away, then you will at least know
the cause.

Jobst Brandt has said some interesting things about shimmy that you
might want to read:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shimmy.html

http://yarchive.net/bike/shimmy.html

> - The bike creaks constantly; there is some creaking when coasting, but I
> cannot associate it with anything in particular. Perhaps the Berthoud
> fenders, perhaps the BB. Then, when pedaling with my hands on the hoods,
> there was a regular loud creak that towards the end I could replicate when
> stopped by twisting on the handlebars.

I have had luck eliminating handlebar creaking by putting wax on the
handlebar under the clamp.  Also, make sure there is grease on the
stem where it inserts into the headtube.

> Both of my stem bolts are as tight as
> I can tighten them by hand. This creaking superimposed on the rolling creaks
> as well and created a cacophony (in my ears) that seemed to get worse
> towards the end of the ride. Specially if I was pedaling harder or uphill.

Rolling creaks are another matter, and they are hard to track down.  I
usually start by removing everything that is not bike or wheels--
including water bottle cages and seat bags.  To eliminate the saddle,
stand on the pedals.  To eliminate the pedals, sit on the saddle and
lift your feet off the pedals.  Then on to the wheels.  I've had hubs
dry out and make sounds while coasting that sounded like creaking.
Also, try squeezing pairs of spokes to see if any of them are loose or
make creaking noises.