on 4/17/10 10:49 PM, Rene Sterental at orthie...@gmail.com wrote:
> Going a bit fast on downhill slopes, about 16 mph, removing the hands from the
> bars caused a shimmy. It was kind of a low frequency shimmy, gentle but
> steady. The bike kept going straight, but with the shimmy. I have a Chris King
> headset; is it perhaps a little tight? Read somewhere that someone fixed that
> problem by loosening their headset a bit.

The fix I'm familiar with is actually the opposite - either slightly
tightening the headset or using super heavy grease (like boat trailer
bearing grease) in a loose-ball headset to slow down the response.

Bear in mind that there are a _lot_ of variables in the shimmy equation -
fore/aft weight distribution, friction into the tires, tire pressure, load
positioning, weight, etc - I would see if you can replicate it again before
trying anything.

> The bike creaks constantly; there is some creaking when coasting, but I cannot
> associate it with anything in particular. Perhaps the Berthoud fenders,
> perhaps the BB. Then, when pedaling with my hands on the hoods, there was a
> regular loud creak that towards the end I could replicate when stopped by
> twisting on the handlebars. Both of my stem bolts are as tight as I can
> tighten them by hand. This creaking superimposed on the rolling creaks as well
> and created a cacophony (in my ears) that seemed to get worse towards the end
> of the ride. Specially if I was pedaling harder or uphill.

Creaks are crazy-making issues.

Basically, remove the bolts, grease the surfaces, reinstall.

Repeat until isolated.

However, I will say that you might not want things "as tight as (you) can
tighten them by hand".  If you have a good bicycle mechanic nearby, you
might pay for a half hour of their time (burrito and beer?) and have them
show you how tight a properly torqued bolt should be.

With greased threads (and threads are _always_ greased), it doesn't take
everything you've got. It is very helpful to develop the "feel", and that
comes from practice.  (And I will say that if you don't get the 'feel'
thing, be honest and get a torque wrench with inch-pound increments.)

Squeaks are notoriously hard to locate while riding. Having someone
alongside listening can help.

Now, specific to your complaint:

If you were just sitting and coasting and creaking:

Saddle itself (silicone spray at the metal/leather interfaces)
Saddle to rail connection (bolt threads, thin grease on rails)
Hubs, freehub/freewheel, wheels not properly seated in dropouts

Since you can replicate it by torquing the bars, I'd pull and regrease the
stem, then the bars.  It could also be a cable housing tip.

If it's happening with a pedal stroke, then I'd suspect in order - pedals,
pedal/crank threads, crank/spindle interface, bottom bracket threads.

Hope that is of some help,

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes
Workshops of the iBob's

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"My nighttime attitude is anyone can run you down and get away with it.
That's why I don't even own a bike light or one of those godawful reflective
suits.  Because if you've put yourself in a position where someone has to
see you in order for you to be safe...you've already blown it."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"