Thanks, Kurt, it was conscientious and courteous of you to reply, and the
information is useful.

I am really torn. Somone on the CR list expressed interest in buying the
frameset but I am intrigued by the thought of installing the original,
slightly too short RBRD fork with canti bosses to take a 42 mm tire, and
(need to check this!) putting a 42 in the rear without a caliper, on a
wheel built around that otherwise apparently useless (*) S3X hub, with the
otherwise overly large (and very spare) 52 t Pro 5 Vis ring and a 15 t cog
for 89/67/56 gi (**) (89 for downhills because otherwise I detest the slop
in the hub. That Bullmoose looks like a very good bar to try.

But this would mean no fenders, and even an upscale alternative to a
Raleigh Sports needs fenders.

So I am starting to teeter back toward the side of selling the damned thing.

Or, does anyone want to trade (f + orig f + custom racks + well used 45 mm
fenders + new 35 mm fenders + that canti fork) for a good quality rigid
mountain bike, 26" or 29er, either a high-end steel NORBA-type without susp
fork, or something like a Monocog 29er? Single speed preferred. Full bike
from you, those parts from me, each takes care of own shipping.

I've thought out loud before about a nicely riding beater for our very
occasional snows (but all the more fun for being very occasional; last
winter saw quite a bit of snow, but Big Ones are not the best tire for it)
and for general beating around without much care for the bike. A Monocog
29er would be perfect; I owned one circa 2010 and rode if for a few years
before trading up to the Fargo.

Anyone? If so, let's talk.

* Too much slop in the gears. The gaps are reversed to what a normal person
would choose, with a big gap between direct and second, and a smaller gap
between 2nd and 3d. If those ratios were reversed, much like those of the
old ASC -- direct, 90%, then a climbing gear 75% of 3d/high/direct -- I
would probably put up with the slop.

** Downhill gear, because trying to keep up with a cruising gear on a long,
fast downhill when there is 30* of slop in the cranks is no fun at all.
It's even a pain in a 95% gear on this hub.